This delicious, healthy soup is perfect for when the weather gets a bit colder. Plus, you get the many benefits of broccoli and other greens, including micronutrients and important antioxidants.
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1 large organic green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large head fresh organic broccoli, washed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. basil leaves, dried
- 2 cups chopped spinach, kale, turnip greens, collards, or Swiss chard
- 2 quarts organic vegetable or free range chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
In large soup pan, melt coconut oil. Add scallions, red pepper, and garlic. Cover on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
Purée broccoli and add to soup pan. Cook covered over medium heat, stirring until broccoli turns bright green.
Remove 1⁄4 of cooked broccoli.
Add basil and additional chopped greens such as chopped spinach or mustard greens. Cook covered for 3-4 more minutes.
Transfer vegetables, except the 1⁄4 cooked broccoli, into food processor, blender or VitaMix. Add a little coconut milk and purée contents.
Transfer both purée and the cooked whole broccoli into the soup pot and add chicken broth, the remaining coconut milk, salt, and curry. Reheat gently and stir.