Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Creates: 6 scones
- 1 ¾ cups blanched almond flour, sifted
- 3 Tbsp coconut flour, sifted, plus more for rolling out dough
- ¼ cup raw (preferably local) honey
- 1 free-range egg
- 2 Tbsp coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp organic or freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 3 Tbsp palm shortening
- ¼ cup dried, organic currants
- Topping: 1 tsp coconut milk + 1 tsp coconut crystals
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Place the flours, honey, egg, coconut milk, lemon juice, baking soda, and salt in bowl of a mixer and mix on medium until a loose dough forms.
- Switch to a dough hook or a pastry cutter to blend in the palm shortening, leaving pea-sized bits of shortening visible in dough. Gradually stir in currants.
- Lightly sprinkle coconut flour on a sheet of parchment paper. Gather dough into a ball and form into 1” thick circle, use your hands to flatten it.
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut circular pieces of dough, gather the remaining dough into a ball and repeat the process until you’ve used as much dough as you can.
- Place scones on parchment-lined baking sheet. If you want to, brush tops with coconut milk and sprinkle with coconut crystals.
- Bake for 18-20 mins, turning the tray once halfway through. Leave to cool. Best served immediately but may be stored in an airtight container and re-warmed later.