Roasted Garlic Lemon Keto Soup
A nice little zing and zest, but with that savory flavor of roasted garlic to offset the tang. This soup is unique and delicious, easy to make and full of a range of health benefits. Enjoy for lunch or as an appetizer!
- 1 large head of garlic
- 2 TBSP hemp seed oil (plus a bit more for drizzling later)
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 TBSP parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 TBSP thyme, finely chopped
- 15 peeled garlic cloves
- 4 cups bone broth
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut OR almond milk
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Optional: toasted almonds as garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Drizzle the garlic head with hemp seed oil, wrap in foil and place in the oven for 1 hour, or until lightly golden and very soft and fragrant. Once it all cools down, squeeze the cloves very gently to pop them out of their skin into a bowl, and set aside. Throw the skins away.
- In a medium-sized soup pot, heat the hemp seed oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, parsley, and thyme and cook until the onions are just softened. This should only take a few minutes Add the fresh AND roasted garlic and cook while stirring until the onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes more. Add the bone broth and lemon juice and let the whole thing simmer on low heat for covered 35-40 minutes.
- Bit by bit, liquify the soup in a blender. Only do maybe 2 cups at a time, only filling the blender roughly halfway and making absolutely sure the lid is on tight. You don’t want this hot soup spraying all over you and your kitchen. Transfer the pureed soup back to your soup pot, add the dairy-free soy milk and salt, and return the mixture to a simmer.
- Once simmered for another 30 minutes or so, it’s ready to serve. Add salt and pepper to taste and toasted almonds for garnish.