Ketogenic "Pho" Noodle Soup
This incredible healing “noodle” soup is a complete meal in itself and can be enjoyed for both lunch and/or dinner! What makes this dish even more amazing is the adapted broth (bone broth) and the kelp noodles.
- 4-5 pounds grass beef bones or knuckle bones
- 2 pound grass fed beef chuck roast or sirloin, cut in half
- 2 pieces ginger (3 inch), lightly scarred on the sides
- 2 organic yellow onions
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 10 whole star anise, lightly toasted in a dry pan
- 6 whole cloves, lightly toasted in a dry pan
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 12 oz packet of Kelp Noodles (Sea Triangle Noodle Company)
- 1/2 organic yellow onion, sliced very thin
- 3 scallions chopped finely
- 1/3 cup diced cilantro
- 1 pound mung bean sprouts
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- 1 lime, cut into thin wedges
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring 6 cups of filtered water to a boil, placing the bones and beef slowly into the boiling water.
- Bring to a high boil for 5 min, then lower to a simmer. Skim the surface of any foam but keep the fat present (do not skim the fat off)
- After 1 hour of simmering, add ginger, onions and fish sauce. Simmer until the meet is tender.
- Remove the meat and place into a bowl containing ice and water for 10 min.
- Lightly toast the Start Anise and Clove then place into a cheese cloth “spice bag” adding the bag to the broth. This will infuse for about 30 min and can be tossed (bag and spices) after 30 min.
- Remove onions (these were for flavoring only)
- Add salt and continue to simmer until your ready to make the final dish.
- Place a moderate amount of the kelp noodles into a bowl. Take 3-5 slices of the beef and lay them on top of the noodles. ladle 2-3 cups of broth into each bowl. Garnish with anything from the above list.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!